Accidental Falls; Decision Making; Geriatrics; Risk Factors
I conducted a series of epidemiological, intervention, and dissemination studies in the area of falls and fall injury risk factors identification and prevention. My current research focus is on clinical decision-making for older adults in the face of multiple health conditions, measuring the net benefit and harms of commonly used medications, and the importance of cross-disease universal health outcomes. I am leading an effort to develop and test an approach to health care that realigns primary and specialty care to focus on the health priorities of older adults with multiple conditions.
Specialized Terms: Falls and injuries; Mobility; Clinical decision-making in the face of multiple health conditions; Harms and benefits of medications; patients’ health priorities
Extensive Research Description
Many of the most frequent health conditions that cause morbidity and compromised functioning and quality of life among older persons result from combinations of medical, psychological, social, environmental, and other factors. The focus of my work has been on the assessment, management, and prevention of multifactorial geriatric health conditions such as falls, immobility, and dizziness. Observational studies and randomized controlled trials are conducted in various settings including the home, hospital, nursing home and outpatient clinics. The research projects are interdisciplinary including nursing, rehabilitation, epidemiology, biostatistics, medicine, and other disciplines.
Other ongoing projects include determining the contribution of multiple conditions to death; mapping disease-specific health outcomes onto a set of universal health outcomes; determining the prevalence and effects of the co-occurrence of competing health conditions; and determining the disease-specific and universal health outcomes associated with treating one disease in the face of the co-occurrence of another disease that worsens with treatment of the first disease (therapeutic competition). I am leading a national effort to develop and test an approach to health care that realigns primary and specialty care to focus on the health priorities of older adults with multiple conditions.
- Multimorbidity in older adults (Variable priorities in the face of competing outcomes: The tradeoff among cardiovascular events, medication symptoms, and fall injuries.)
- Universal outcomes as a common metric across multiple diseases among elders.
- Aligning clinical-decision-making and care with the health priorities of older adults with multiple chronic conditions
Designing Health Care for the Most Common Chronic Condition: Multi-morbidity.
Tinetti ME, Fried TR, Boyd, CM. Designing Health Care for the Most Common Chronic Condition: Multi-morbidity. JAMA 2012; 307(23):2493-2495.
Contribution of multiple chronic diseases to universal health outcomes in older adults.
Tinetti ME, McAvay G, Chang SS, Newman AB, Fried TR, Fitzpatrick AL, Satterfield S, Peduzzi P. Contribution of multiple chronic diseases to universal health outcomes in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 1686-1691.
Variable priorities in the face of competing outcomes: The tradeoff among cardiovascular events, medication symptoms, and fall injuries.
Tinetti ME, McAvay G, Fried TR, Allore HG, Salmon J, Foody JM, Bianco L, Ginter S, Fraenkel L. Variable priorities in the face of competing outcomes: The tradeoff among cardiovascular events, medication symptoms, and fall injuries. J Am Geriatr Soc 56:1409-1416, 2008.
- Effect of translating evidence into practice on rate of serious fall injury. Tinetti ME, Baker DI, King M, Gottschalk M, Murphy T, Acampora D, Leo-Summers L, Allore H. Effect of translating evidence into practice on rate of serious fall injury. New Engl J Med 359:252-61, 2008.
- Patient Priority Directed Decision-making and Care for Older Adults with Multiple Chronic Conditions Tinetti ME, Esterson J, Ferris R, Posner P, Blaum CS. Patient Priority Directed Decision-making and Care for Older Adults with Multiple Chronic Conditions. Clin Geriatr Med 2016; 32(2):261-75.
- Association between guideline-recommended medications and death in older adults with multiple chronic conditions: Population-based Cohort Study. Tinetti ME, McAvay G, Trentalange M, Cohen AB, Allore AG. Association between guideline-recommended medications and death in older adults with multiple chronic conditions: Population-based Cohort Study. BMJ.2015;351:4984.
- Anti-hypertensive medications and serious fall injuries in a nationally representative sample of older adults Tinetti ME, Han L, McAvay GJ, Lee DSH, Peduzzi P, Gross CP, Zhang T, Lin H. Anti-hypertensive medications and serious fall injuries in a nationally representative sample of older adults. JAMA Intern Med 174(4):588-95, 2014.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Tisminetzky M, Bayliss EA, Magaziner JS, Allore HG, Anzuoni K, Boyd CM, Gill TM, Go AS, Greenspan SL, Hanson LR, Hornbrook MC, Kitzman DW, Larson EB, Naylor MD, Shirley BE, Tai-Seale M, Teri L, Tinetti ME, Whitson HE, Gurwitz JH: Research Priorities to Advance the Health and Health Care of Older Adults with Multiple Chronic Conditions. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017 Jul; 2017 May 26. PMID: 28555750
- Tinetti M, Huang A, Molnar F: The Geriatrics 5M's: A new way of communicating what we do. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017 Jun 6; 2017 Jun 6. PMID: 28586122
- Liu T, Kiwak E, Tinetti ME: Perceptions of Hospital-Dependent Patients on Their Needs for Hospitalization. J Hosp Med. 2017 Jun. PMID: 28574536
- Gnjidic D, Tinetti M, Allore HG: Assessing medication burden and polypharmacy: finding the perfect measure. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2017 Apr; 2017 Mar 8. PMID: 28271722
- Ferris R, Blaum C, Kiwak E, Austin J, Esterson J, Harkless G, Oftedahl G, Parchman M, Van Ness PH, Tinetti ME: Perspectives of Patients, Clinicians, and Health System Leaders on Changes Needed to Improve the Health Care and Outcomes of Older Adults With Multiple Chronic Conditions. J Aging Health. 2017 Feb 1; 2017 Feb 1. PMID: 28553806
- Presley CJ, Soulos PR, Tinetti M, Montori VM, Yu JB, Gross CP: Treatment Burden of Medicare Beneficiaries With Stage I Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. J Oncol Pract. 2016 Dec 20; 2016 Dec 20. PMID: 27997301
- Bierman AS, Tinetti ME: Precision medicine to precision care: managing multimorbidity. Lancet. 2016 Dec 3; 2016 Dec 2. PMID: 27924764
- Miner B, Tinetti ME, Van Ness PH, Han L, Leo-Summers L, Newman AB, Lee PJ, Vaz Fragoso CA: Dyspnea in Community-Dwelling Older Persons: A Multifactorial Geriatric Health Condition. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Oct; 2016 Aug 22. PMID: 27549914
- Dharmarajan K, Strait KM, Tinetti ME, Lagu T, Lindenauer PK, Lynn J, Krukas MR, Ernst FR, Li SX, Krumholz HM: Treatment for Multiple Acute Cardiopulmonary Conditions in Older Adults Hospitalized with Pneumonia, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, or Heart Failure. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Aug; 2016 Jul 22. PMID: 27448329
- Allore HG, Zhan Y, Cohen AB, Tinetti ME, Trentalange M, McAvay G: Methodology to Estimate the Longitudinal Average Attributable Fraction of Guideline-recommended Medications for Death in Older Adults With Multiple Chronic Conditions. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016 Aug; 2016 Jan 8. PMID: 26748093
- Tinetti M: Mainstream or Extinction: Can Defining Who We Are Save Geriatrics? J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Jul; 2016 Jun 28. PMID: 27351753
- Tinetti ME, Esterson J, Ferris R, Posner P, Blaum CS: Patient Priority-Directed Decision Making and Care for Older Adults with Multiple Chronic Conditions. Clin Geriatr Med. 2016 May; 2016 Feb 28. PMID: 27113145
- Feder SL, Schulman-Green D, Dodson JA, Geda M, Williams K, Nanna MG, Allore HG, Murphy TE, Tinetti ME, Gill TM, Chaudhry SI: Risk Stratification in Older Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction: Physicians' Perspectives. J Aging Health. 2016 Apr; 2015 Jun 22. PMID: 26100619
- Dodson JA, Petrone A, Gagnon DR, Tinetti ME, Krumholz HM, Gaziano JM: Incidence and Determinants of Traumatic Intracranial Bleeding Among Older Veterans Receiving Warfarin for Atrial Fibrillation. JAMA Cardiol. 2016 Apr 1. PMID: 27437657
- Tinetti ME, Naik AD, Dodson JA: Moving From Disease-Centered to Patient Goals-Directed Care for Patients With Multiple Chronic Conditions: Patient Value-Based Care. JAMA Cardiol. 2016 Apr 1. PMID: 27437646
- Tinetti ME, McAvay G, Trentalange M, Cohen AB, Allore HG: Association between guideline recommended drugs and death in older adults with multiple chronic conditions: population based cohort study. BMJ. 2015 Oct 2; 2015 Oct 2. PMID: 26432468
- Shih AF, Buurman BM, Tynan-McKiernan K, Tinetti ME, Jenq G: Views of Primary Care Physicians and Home Care Nurses on the Causes of Readmission of Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015 Oct. PMID: 26480986
- Bell SP, Orr NM, Dodson JA, Rich MW, Wenger NK, Blum K, Harold JG, Tinetti ME, Maurer MS, Forman DE: What to Expect From the Evolving Field of Geriatric Cardiology. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015 Sep 15. PMID: 26361161
- Allore HG, Zhan Y, Tinetti M, Trentalange M, McAvay G: Longitudinal average attributable fraction as a method for studying time-varying conditions and treatments on recurrent self-rated health: the case of medications in older adults with multiple chronic conditions. Ann Epidemiol. 2015 Sep; 2015 May 8. PMID: 26033374
- Feder SL, Schulman-Green D, Geda M, Williams K, Dodson JA, Nanna MG, Allore HG, Murphy TE, Tinetti ME, Gill TM, Chaudhry SI: Physicians' perceptions of the Thrombolysis in Myocardial Infarction (TIMI) risk score in older adults with acute myocardial infarction. Heart Lung. 2015 Sep-Oct; 2015 Jul 9. PMID: 26164651
- Case SM, O'Leary J, Kim N, Tinetti ME, Fried TR: Older Adults' Recognition of Trade-Offs in Healthcare Decision-Making. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015 Aug; 2015 Jul 14. PMID: 26173743
- Juthani-Mehta M, Van Ness PH, McGloin J, Argraves S, Chen S, Charpentier P, Miller L, Williams K, Wall D, Baker D, Tinetti M, Peduzzi P, Quagliarello VJ: A cluster-randomized controlled trial of a multicomponent intervention protocol for pneumonia prevention among nursing home elders. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Mar 15; 2014 Dec 16. PMID: 25520333
- Gross CP, Fried TR, Tinetti ME, Ross JS, Genao I, Hossain S, Wolf E, Lewis CL: Decision-making and cancer screening: a qualitative study of older adults with multiple chronic conditions. J Geriatr Oncol. 2015 Mar; 2014 Dec 17. PMID: 25544380
- Jenq GY, Tinetti ME: Post-acute care: who belongs where? JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Feb. PMID: 25437105
- Dodson JA, Geda M, Krumholz HM, Lorenze N, Murphy TE, Allore HG, Charpentier P, Tsang SW, Acampora D, Tinetti ME, Gill TM, Chaudhry SI: Design and rationale of the comprehensive evaluation of risk factors in older patients with AMI (SILVER-AMI) study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2014 Nov 5; 2014 Nov 5. PMID: 25370536
- Tinetti ME, Han L, McAvay GJ: Risks and benefits of antihypertensive medications in older adults--reply. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Nov. PMID: 25365161
- Graham-Steed TR, Soulos PR, Dearing N, Concato J, Tinetti ME, Gross CP: Development and validation of a prognostic index for fracture risk in older men undergoing prostate cancer treatment. J Geriatr Oncol. 2014 Oct 1; 2014 Sep 18. PMID: 25240918
- Case SM, O'Leary J, Kim N, Tinetti ME, Fried TR: Relationship between universal health outcome priorities and willingness to take medication for primary prevention of myocardial infarction. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014 Sep; 2014 Aug 22. PMID: 25146885
- Tinetti ME, Han L, Lee DS, McAvay GJ, Peduzzi P, Gross CP, Zhou B, Lin H: Antihypertensive medications and serious fall injuries in a nationally representative sample of older adults. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Apr. PMID: 24567036
- Tinetti ME, Han L, McAvay GJ, Lee DS, Peduzzi P, Dodson JA, Gross CP, Zhou B, Lin H: Anti-hypertensive medications and cardiovascular events in older adults with multiple chronic conditions. PLoS One. 2014; 2014 Mar 10. PMID: 24614535
- Tinetti ME: The gap between clinical trials and the real world: extrapolating treatment effects from younger to older adults. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Mar. PMID: 24424303
- Lee DS, Markwardt S, McAvay GJ, Gross CP, Goeres LM, Han L, Peduzzi P, Lin H, Dodson JA, Tinetti ME: Effect of β-blockers on cardiac and pulmonary events and death in older adults with cardiovascular disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Med Care. 2014 Mar. PMID: 24561758
- Tinetti ME, Basu J: Research on multiple chronic conditions: where we are and where we need to go. Med Care. 2014 Mar. PMID: 24561755
- Lorgunpai SJ, Grammas M, Lee DS, McAvay G, Charpentier P, Tinetti ME: Potential therapeutic competition in community-living older adults in the U.S.: use of medications that may adversely affect a coexisting condition. PLoS One. 2014; 2014 Feb 25. PMID: 24586786
- Reuben DB, Tinetti ME: The hospital-dependent patient. N Engl J Med. 2014 Feb 20. PMID: 24552316
- Murphy TE, Baker DI, Leo-Summers LS, Tinetti ME: Trends in Fall-Related Traumatic Brain Injury among Older Persons in Connecticut from 2000-2007. J Gerontol Geriatr Res. 2014. PMID: 25558438
- Dharmarajan K, Strait KM, Lagu T, Lindenauer PK, Tinetti ME, Lynn J, Li SX, Krumholz HM: Acute decompensated heart failure is routinely treated as a cardiopulmonary syndrome. PLoS One. 2013; 2013 Oct 21. PMID: 24250751
- Murphy TE, Baker DI, Leo-Summers LS, Allore HG, Tinetti ME: Association between treatment or usual care region and hospitalization for fall-related traumatic brain injury in the Connecticut Collaboration for Fall Prevention. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013 Oct; 2013 Sep 19. PMID: 24083593
- Gancayco J, Soulos PR, Khiani V, Cramer LD, Ross JS, Genao I, Tinetti M, Gross CP: Age-based and sex-based disparities in screening colonoscopy use among medicare beneficiaries. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2013 Aug. PMID: 23619827
- Tinetti M: ACP Journal Club. Review: acute geriatric unit care reduces falls, delirium, and functional decline. Ann Intern Med. 2013 Jun 18. PMID: 23778923
- Tinetti ME, Basch E: Patients' responsibility to participate in decision making and research. JAMA. 2013 Jun 12. PMID: 23700165
- Walke LM, Tinetti ME: ACE, MACE, and GRACE: time to put the pieces together: comment on "effects of an acute care for elders unit on costs and 30-day readmissions". JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Jun 10. PMID: 23608885
- Lin H, Allore HG, McAvay G, Tinetti ME, Gill TM, Gross CP, Murphy TE: A method for partitioning the attributable fraction of multiple time-dependent coexisting risk factors for an adverse health outcome. Am J Public Health. 2013 Jan; 2012 Apr 19. PMID: 22515873
- Chang SS, Chen S, McAvay GJ, Tinetti ME: Effect of coexisting chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cognitive impairment on health outcomes in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 Oct; 2012 Oct 4. PMID: 23035917
- Tinetti ME, Charpentier P, Gottschalk M, Baker DI: Effect of a restorative model of posthospital home care on hospital readmissions. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 Aug; 2012 Aug 2. PMID: 22860756
- Tinetti ME, McAvay GJ, Murphy TE, Gross CP, Lin H, Allore HG: Contribution of individual diseases to death in older adults with multiple diseases. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 Aug; 2012 Jun 26. PMID: 22734792
- Tinetti ME, Fried TR, Boyd CM: Designing health care for the most common chronic condition--multimorbidity. JAMA. 2012 Jun 20. PMID: 22797447
- Jenq G, Tinetti ME: The journey across the health care (dis)continuum for vulnerable patients: policies, pitfalls, and possibilities. JAMA. 2012 May 23. PMID: 22618921
- Tinetti ME: The retreat from advanced care planning. JAMA. 2012 Mar 7. PMID: 22396510
- Gross CP, Soulos PR, Ross JS, Cramer LD, Guerrero C, Tinetti ME, Braithwaite RS: Assessing the impact of screening colonoscopy on mortality in the medicare population. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Dec; 2011 Aug 13. PMID: 21842323
- Tinetti ME, McAvay G, Chang SS, Ning Y, Newman AB, Fitzpatrick A, Fried TR, Harris TB, Nevitt MC, Satterfield S, Yaffe K, Peduzzi P: Effect of chronic disease-related symptoms and impairments on universal health outcomes in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Sep; 2011 Aug 24. PMID: 21883120
- Tinetti ME, McAvay GJ, Chang SS, Newman AB, Fitzpatrick AL, Fried TR, Peduzzi PN: Contribution of multiple chronic conditions to universal health outcomes. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Sep; 2011 Aug 30. PMID: 21883118
- Tinetti ME, Studenski SA: Comparative effectiveness research and patients with multiple chronic conditions. N Engl J Med. 2011 Jun 30; 2011 Jun 22. PMID: 21696327
- Fried TR, Tinetti ME, Towle V, O'Leary JR, Iannone L: Effects of benefits and harms on older persons' willingness to take medication for primary cardiovascular prevention. Arch Intern Med. 2011 May 23; 2011 Feb 28. PMID: 21357797
- Fried TR, Tinetti M, Agostini J, Iannone L, Towle V: Health outcome prioritization to elicit preferences of older persons with multiple health conditions. Patient Educ Couns. 2011 May; 2010 May 31. PMID: 20570078
- Fried TR, Tinetti ME, Iannone L: Primary care clinicians' experiences with treatment decision making for older persons with multiple conditions. Arch Intern Med. 2011 Jan 10; 2010 Sep 13. PMID: 20837819
- Chang SS, Vaz Fragoso CA, Van Ness PH, Fried LP, Tinetti ME: Association between combined interleukin-6 and C-reactive protein levels and pulmonary function in older women: results from the Women's Health and Aging Studies I and II. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Jan. PMID: 21226682
- Tinetti ME, Kumar C: The patient who falls: "It's always a trade-off". JAMA. 2010 Jan 20. PMID: 20085954
- Mendu ML, McAvay G, Lampert R, Stoehr J, Tinetti ME: Yield of diagnostic tests in evaluating syncopal episodes in older patients. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Jul 27. PMID: 19636031
- Quagliarello V, Juthani-Mehta M, Ginter S, Towle V, Allore H, Tinetti M: Pilot testing of intervention protocols to prevent pneumonia in nursing home residents. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009 Jul; 2009 Jun 3. PMID: 19558483
- Juthani-Mehta M, Quagliarello V, Perrelli E, Towle V, Van Ness PH, Tinetti M: Clinical features to identify urinary tract infection in nursing home residents: a cohort study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009 Jun. PMID: 19490243
- Fried TR, McGraw S, Agostini JV, Tinetti ME: Views of older persons with multiple morbidities on competing outcomes and clinical decision-making. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008 Oct; 2008 Sep 2. PMID: 18771453
- Murphy TE, Agostini JV, Van Ness PH, Peduzzi P, Tinetti ME, Allore HG: Assessing multiple medication use with probabilities of benefits and harms. J Aging Health. 2008 Sep; 2008 Jul 14. PMID: 18625759
- Tinetti ME, McAvay GJ, Fried TR, Allore HG, Salmon JC, Foody JM, Bianco L, Ginter S, Fraenkel L: Health outcome priorities among competing cardiovascular, fall injury, and medication-related symptom outcomes. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008 Aug; 2008 Jul 24. PMID: 18662210
- Tinetti ME, Baker DI, King M, Gottschalk M, Murphy TE, Acampora D, Carlin BP, Leo-Summers L, Allore HG: Effect of dissemination of evidence in reducing injuries from falls. N Engl J Med. 2008 Jul 17. PMID: 18635430
- Tinetti ME: Over-the-counter sales of statins and other drugs for asymptomatic conditions. N Engl J Med. 2008 Jun 19. PMID: 18565867
- Juthani-Mehta M, Tinetti M, Perrelli E, Towle V, Van Ness PH, Quagliarello V: Interobserver variability in the assessment of clinical criteria for suspected urinary tract infection in nursing home residents. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008 May. PMID: 18419369
- Tinetti ME, McAvay GJ, Fried TR, Foody JM, Bianco L, Ginter S, Fraenkel L: Development of a tool for eliciting patient priority from among competing cardiovascular disease, medication-symptoms, and fall injury outcomes. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008 Apr; 2008 Feb 11. PMID: 18266842
- Walke LM, Byers AL, Tinetti ME, Dubin JA, McCorkle R, Fried TR: Range and severity of symptoms over time among older adults with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and heart failure. Arch Intern Med. 2007 Dec 10. PMID: 18071174
- Agostini JV, Tinetti ME, Han L, Peduzzi P, Foody JM, Concato J: Association between antihypertensive medication use and non-cardiovascular outcomes in older men. J Gen Intern Med. 2007 Dec; 2007 Sep 25. PMID: 17899299
- Juthani-Mehta M, Tinetti M, Perrelli E, Towle V, Quagliarello V: Role of dipstick testing in the evaluation of urinary tract infection in nursing home residents. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007 Jul; 2007 May 17. PMID: 17564998
- Juthani-Mehta M, Tinetti M, Perrelli E, Towle V, Van Ness PH, Quagliarello V: Diagnostic accuracy of criteria for urinary tract infection in a cohort of nursing home residents. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007 Jul. PMID: 17608881
- Gross CP, McAvay GJ, Guo Z, Tinetti ME: The impact of chronic illnesses on the use and effectiveness of adjuvant chemotherapy for colon cancer. Cancer. 2007 Jun 15. PMID: 17510973
- Agostini JV, Tinetti ME, Han L, McAvay G, Foody JM, Concato J: Effects of statin use on muscle strength, cognition, and depressive symptoms in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007 Mar. PMID: 17341246
- Gross CP, Andersen MS, Krumholz HM, McAvay GJ, Proctor D, Tinetti ME: Relation between Medicare screening reimbursement and stage at diagnosis for older patients with colon cancer. JAMA. 2006 Dec 20. PMID: 17179458
- Tinetti ME, Gordon C, Sogolow E, Lapin P, Bradley EH: Fall-risk evaluation and management: challenges in adopting geriatric care practices. Gerontologist. 2006 Dec. PMID: 17169927
- Gross CP, Guo Z, McAvay GJ, Allore HG, Young M, Tinetti ME: Multimorbidity and survival in older persons with colorectal cancer. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006 Dec. PMID: 17198496
- Gross CP, McAvay GJ, Krumholz HM, Paltiel AD, Bhasin D, Tinetti ME: The effect of age and chronic illness on life expectancy after a diagnosis of colorectal cancer: implications for screening. Ann Intern Med. 2006 Nov 7. PMID: 17088577
- Belcher VN, Fried TR, Agostini JV, Tinetti ME: Views of older adults on patient participation in medication-related decision making. J Gen Intern Med. 2006 Apr. PMID: 16686804
- Chou WC, Tinetti ME, King MB, Irwin K, Fortinsky RH: Perceptions of physicians on the barriers and facilitators to integrating fall risk evaluation and management into practice. J Gen Intern Med. 2006 Feb; 2005 Dec 7. PMID: 16336618
- Juthani-Mehta M, Drickamer MA, Towle V, Zhang Y, Tinetti ME, Quagliarello VJ: Nursing home practitioner survey of diagnostic criteria for urinary tract infections. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005 Nov. PMID: 16274383
- Tinetti ME, Allore H, Araujo KL, Seeman T: Modifiable impairments predict progressive disability among older persons. J Aging Health. 2005 Apr. PMID: 15750053
- Baker DI, King MB, Fortinsky RH, Graff LG 4th, Gottschalk M, Acampora D, Preston J, Brown CJ, Tinetti ME: Dissemination of an evidence-based multicomponent fall risk-assessment and -management strategy throughout a geographic area. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005 Apr. PMID: 15817016
- Allore H, Tinetti ME, Araujo KL, Hardy S, Peduzzi P: A case study found that a regression tree outperformed multiple linear regression in predicting the relationship between impairments and Social and Productive Activities scores. J Clin Epidemiol. 2005 Feb. PMID: 15680749
- Quagliarello V, Ginter S, Han L, Van Ness P, Allore H, Tinetti M: Modifiable risk factors for nursing home-acquired pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis. 2005 Jan 1; 2004 Dec 1. PMID: 15614684
- Allore HG, Tinetti ME, Gill TM, Peduzzi PN: Experimental designs for multicomponent interventions among persons with multifactorial geriatric syndromes. Clin Trials. 2005. PMID: 16279575
- Tinetti ME, Bogardus ST Jr, Agostini JV: Potential pitfalls of disease-specific guidelines for patients with multiple conditions. N Engl J Med. 2004 Dec 30. PMID: 15625341
- Walke LM, Gallo WT, Tinetti ME, Fried TR: The burden of symptoms among community-dwelling older persons with advanced chronic disease. Arch Intern Med. 2004 Nov 22. PMID: 15557410
- Agostini JV, Han L, Tinetti ME: The relationship between number of medications and weight loss or impaired balance in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004 Oct. PMID: 15450051
- Tinetti ME, Fried T: The end of the disease era. Am J Med. 2004 Feb 1. PMID: 14749162
- Tinetti ME: Clinical practice. Preventing falls in elderly persons. N Engl J Med. 2003 Jan 2. PMID: 12510042
- Juthani-Mehta M, Datunashvili A, Tinetti M: Tests for urinary tract infection in nursing home residents. JAMA. 2014 Oct 22-29. PMID: 25335152